Do you want to grow your Christian blog in 2021? I assume you just screamed YES!. Well, I do too.
I spent the remaining part of 2020 thinking of things I didn’t do in 2020 for my faith blog while eating my Udara, perceiving the smell of village dust, and drinking stream water
A lot of Christian bloggers are passionate about spreading the gospel on the online space through their blogs.
However, they lack clues and sufficient resources to help them grow their Christian blog to the height they envisage in their mind. 75% of bloggers I have met in my business of blog coaching started their blog hoping that people will just come online and find their blog.
Few months have gone and they discover that their blog isn’t making headway. Then the popular question everyone who wants to have a successful blog asks “what am I doing wrong?’ could it be my village people? (Well, we have to drag them into every mistake and planned failure).
The truth is that some faith bloggers really struggle with getting organic traffic to their blogs simply because they were not careful to get the best Christian blogging resources and Christian blogging tips that will help them grow their faith blog.
You are reading this blog post because you have an online ministry and perhaps you are experiencing a little bit of downtime and massive depreciation.
You keep losing your readers, running into the infamous writer’s block and even lost the zeal with which you started years or a few months ago. This post shows you the profitable and tiny cards you’re leaving on the table. How to pick them up and where to channel your energy more to grow your Christian blog in 2021.
How to grow your Christian blog in 2021-10 Christian blogging tips and resources
Lately, I’ve been analyzing how my blog is growing and the difficulty other faith bloggers are facing. You can’t help but be bothered especially if you get over 10 complaints in your DM every day with likely complaints “my blog isn’t growing” “how can I be a successful Christian blogger?” and so many others.
With the rise of online content and the widespread pervasive message around the web, the lord daily raises a cry for hallowed writers and anointed scribes who can devote their time to creating consistent that will boost the popularity of the kingdom.
The difficult part of it is that the lord will do everything for us except coming down himself to help us grow our Christian blogs.
It is in your best interest as a Christian blogger to humbly search for Christian blogging tips and resources from other successful Christian blogs to help your blog experience the growth and improvement it needs.
It’s simple if you can devote your time. Alas! We all want to grow our faith blog but at the same time, we don’t want to do anything about it except complaints. The question for you right now is what can you do to grow your online ministry? If you’re ready, let’s dive into this mini Christian blogging course
Christian Blogging tip #1 Start the New Year with prayers and a retreat
Unlike other niche bloggers, Christian bloggers depend on the fuel of prayer to run an effective and successful blog. Nothing we do outside the terrains of prayer and intimacy with God thrives. You must understand this rule of thumb if you want to have a successful Christian blog.
I do not readily bother praying for hours before each content is published for my business and creativity blog. I simply understand that what demands more is to sit down and follow my competitors, study their ranking keywords, study materials. Then, commit to paper those keywords I want companies to search me for.
However, as a faith blogger, there is a quick switch to dwell in the place of prayer first. So, my steps are ordered by the lord. Your faith blog is an online ministry and your readers are your congregation, they deserve a prayerful teacher of the word of God, not one who writes because she was simply stirred to do so.
Take time to settle outside the noise of the Christmas season and say major prayers for your blog. If you’ve never tried it before, do so and see the change in how your Christian blog grows in 2021. I have listed below few prayer points for your Christian blog
- Pray that you would write not in your own power, but equipped with God’s power. “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
- Pray that you would be focused on your calling and purpose as a writer/blogger. “The Spirit of the Lord is on me because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners, and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.” Luke 4:18-19
- Pray that your faith will not fail. But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fails not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. Luke 22: 32
- Pray that you would be focused on God’s approval, more than people’s. “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10
- Pray against Satan’s attacks regarding your worth as a writer/blogger. “Put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” Ephesians 4:13-17
Download it as a printable here.
Blogging Tip #2 Identify and stick to your target audience
If you want to grow your Christian blog, Define WHO you are writing to. Quit jumping around and creating content for every Mary and James just because you have a laptop and words keep flowing.
Was I too forward? I hope not.
You see one of the reasons your blog is not growing is because you don’t have a specific target audience. If we were to conduct a census, you will come to discover that 60% of Christian bloggers write for everyone.
It’s not right. How do you expect your Christian blog to grow? What should you do then? Find a particular target audience. What are you more passionate about? Which set of people are you called to reach out to the most? Even pastors have a target audience, there are churches whose bulk messages are unconsciously built around faith. Yet others are usually found talking about new life and grace, yet others are called into youth ministry and all they seek is to set them on fire.
Your reason for blogging is somewhat like that and that is the most primary means to grow your Christian boog in 2021. Find your target audience and stick to them. On my Christian blog, you’d notice I write more to Christian women and recently to Christian bloggers. They are my target audience.
Focusing on a specific demographic or purpose will help you to create content that your readers need and will be searching for.
There are several Christian blogging niches you can grow into an online ministry if you want. Well, The list includes but is not limited to:
Christian Parenting Blogs
Travel and DIY Blogs
Christian Marriage Blogs
Christian Women/ Ladies Blogs
Blogs for Godly Christian Men
Christian College Blogs
Online Bible Studies
Blogs for Encouragement and Scripture
Blogs for Ministry Leaders
What niche is your blog centred on? Who is your target audience? Don’t forget to list them in the comment section.
Blogging Tip #3 Blogging platform and design
I’m a sucker for great bog aesthetics, they are pleasing to my eyes and appeal to my senses. It can even keep me on a person’s blog for hours especially if the content matches the beauty of the blog. One of the mistakes you will make as a Christian blogger is continuing on a free WordPress platform especially if you want to grow your Christian blog to success in 2021.
A lot of collaborators and guest blogging platforms you’re looking to submit your posts and work with may not give chance to a free platform user because of its unprofessionalism and irrelevance in google ranking.
If you want to grow your Christian blog to success. Invest in a paid domain and hosting. Secondly, give your faith blog a breath of freshness. I design websites for a living including this particular faith blog you’re reading right now.
I find it hard to ever compromise on the kind of themes I use. If you use WordPress, there are an unfathomable amount of themes for faith bloggers
Christian Blogging tip #4 Run a content audit to improve content performance
My mum finds it difficult to let go of old things especially the obviously useless ones. Some Christian bloggers are like my mum. One of the limiting mistakes which affect the growth of your Christian blog is hanging onto underperforming content. Right now, you probably have several blog posts on your site that are not performing.
The objective behind a content audit is to take underperforming content and make it perform.
This requires several steps:
- Remove struggling content – examine the traffic for the past month and compare it to the same month last year. Also look at how well the content has performed in terms of shares, backlinks etc.
- Identify why your content isn’t performing – This is the most complex part. You need to analyze each post individually. Common factors to consider include; permalink changes, badly written headlines, outdated content, poorly formatted content broken buttons/forms/affiliate links, etc.
- Fix your underperforming content – By this point you should have an understanding of what’s wrong, now work through and fix up your content starting with the most important articles.
The biggest reason you are not experiencing growth and success in your blog is that it is not getting enough traffic. As content is king, traffic is bae and plays a major role if you want to grow your Christian blog in 2021
Christian Blogging tip #5 Build your content and study bank
These days I spend more time burrowing through my personal study materials and online resources in search of questions in the heart of my target audience. Often, I engage myself and other Christian girls in a conversation trusting the lord that I’ll find out the questions in their hearts. The main goal of blogging is to solve the question in the hearts of people. You could decide to start a series like how I plan to and most do.
The holidays are a great time to get your content plan ready for the New Year. Sure, you may want to switch posts around or fiddle with the plan as you go, but having some sort of plan makes it easier to stay focused.
You can find topics to write about through the following means:
Keyword research – If you want Google to send you long-term traffic, use keyword research to find some of your topic ideas. Covering topics your audience is searching for is critical for your Christian to grow
Quora – Q&A sites like Quora are a treasure-trove for topic ideas. Simply search for your niche or a related topic and you’ll get a load of specific questions you can directly answer with your content.
Social media communities – Communities such as asking the public and Facebook Groups can offer deep insight into your target audience’s questions.
Ask your readers –you can include a survey in your email list automation sequence for new subscribers. Alternatively, you could send a broadcast to your list with a link to your survey, or share it on social media.
You’ll need to choose a variety of blog post types:
If you run a short stories blog, you could decide to run a series of stories like Grace Dada does over on her blog. That way you will never run out of blog ideas half into the year. As the year progresses and continuous studies are done, you’ll find more things to write about.
There are tons of keyword software out there to help you through. Some of my favourites include:
Keyword everywhere extension- This particular tool makes my life easier. Just a click of keywords provides me with a list of phrases and similar long-tail keywords. I can either copy the list or download it as a CSV file. Then go-ahead to draft my content ideas and structure them properly to meet SEO requirements.
Christian Blogging tip #6 Developing SEO strategy
One of the mistakes Christian bloggers make is to neglect the function of SEO in the growth of their Christian blogs. If you want to grow your Christian blog to success in 2021, you must pay attention to SEO.
Of all the Christian blogging tips I have listed here, having and developing an SEO strategy is the most important tip you should bear in mind for the growth of your blog. You must choose the keyword you want to rank for beyond getting the YOAST plugin to show a green light.
Solid SEO strategy that can grow your Christian blog in 2021
- On-Site SEO Basics- you may be attempted to shove keywords everywhere in your blog content but that goes against the golden rule of optimization. You may hear a lot about link building but link building without good on-site search optimization isn’t going to be as effective. When it comes to keyword optimization, keep it simple; think of up to five keywords or keyword phrases for each page on your website and optimize for those.
- Internal Links – Link building isn’t just reserved for external sites linking to your website. You can help search engines learn more about your website by internally linking to other pages on your web
- Off-Site Optimization (aka Link Building)-Link building is probably one of the most talked-about (and debated about) SEO tasks. The basic goal of link building is to get other websites to link to yours. If you think about ranking at the top of search results as a popularity contest, then links are like votes saying your website deserves to be ranked highly
- Monitor your Blog Results- Use Google Analytics to learn more about the visitors to your website. In particular, monitor your organic search traffic sources to see what keywords people are using to find your website in search results. By setting up goals, you can see which keywords lead to visits where visitors do what you want them to do on your website.
Christian Blogging tip #7 Email list building
As you collect email addresses from your readers, make sure you have a plan for them. Not just to pile up a bogus but inactive email community. Why are you collecting email lists? Because your blogging coach and other bloggers say it’s necessary? An email list is a great way to communicate with your audience. However, you must have a plan for how you are going to nurture it.
If you do not already have an email list as a Christian blogger, I’d hate to break it to you that you’re the cause of your blog’s stunt growth. If you want to grow your Christian blog in 2021, you should really focus on that email list building and do it intentionally.
By intentionality, I mean doing the following:
- Setting up a Welcome Email sequence that automatically sends a series of emails to new subscribers. A sequence of sending the emails as well as what to send to them each time. It could run in series as I did sometimes by drafting a 7-day blogging course for everyone who signs up for my blog. I don’t have to do anything again except set it up using MailChimp then sip my coke. You could even include a freebie like an eBook to encourage people to sign up.
- A/B Testing to Improve Open Rates – Try out different subject lines for a single email to see what gets a better open response.
- Clean up your lists often – About once every couple of months, go through your subscriber list and delete any subscribers who haven’t opened your emails in a set amount of time. While it is great to have a large list, you want that list to be productive. If they aren’t reading your emails, why keep them?
Christian Blogging tip #8 learn a digital skill to grow your Christian blog
Blogging and creating content is beautiful and exciting. However, blogging doesn’t end at just having a ready list of contents to write. As a blogger, you are oftentimes the editor, content creator, marketer, SEO manager, and serval other handyman needed to grow your Christian blog especially when you’re just starting.
It takes learning several relevant digital skills to make it above the loud noise in the ministry. What are some of the courses you’ve been postponing? Focus on saving towards getting a personal blogging coach. Some of the people who either sign up for my group and personal coaching classes have started their own blogs and doing well. What’s your excuse?
Some of the skills you should learn towards the growth of your Christian blog in 2021 includes:
Social media strategy
The key is to take what you learn and put it into practice on your own blog. See what works for your Christian blog and observe the growth process over time.
When I started my blog adventure, it was difficult to share my blog post because I was shy and didn’t want people to think I had joined the band of reigning bloggers.
It was as if everyone was my enemy and wouldn’t want to read my blog posts. Hello Christian blogger, nobody is your enemy.
In fact, your friends want to see you grow. You spend all night writing that article only to tuck it in your blog for the birds to find it.
As you focus on organic traffic through SEO, endeavour to share your bogs post if you want to grow your Christian blog in 2021. Shun shyness and all manners of complexity and shamelessly allow the fragrance of the post to be perceived by all
Right now, each time I announce I have a blog post coming, my friends are excited because they trust that my content will help their Christian journey.
Everyone uses Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even WhatsApp these days.
Use social share plugins to encourage your readers to share with their friends. Some useful social share plugins you can use include: Shareaholic, Social Warfare, or SumoMe. These plugins are optimized.
They also enable you to add a “share all” button that lets your reader share the post on any platform. Make it easy for your readers to share your blog post on their handles
Christian Blogging tip #10 Content promotion and marketing
I saved the best for the last. Asides from organic traffic paid ad is one way you can put your content in the face of millions of people on Facebook, Instagram, Google, YouTube, and others.
Content promotion is the process of distributing blog posts and other resources via both paid and organic channels
Experiment with the different social platforms where your readers hang out and see what tactics works on them.
For paid advertisement, I stick with Facebook ads for now. You can decide to sign up for a course to help you learn retargeting ads or pay someone to do it for you.
Writing great content is key but you need people to see it and by that, I mean your target audience who are littered all over the place.
You can also leverage videos to make your content known including a podcast. Some bloggers run their podcast and YouTube channels just reading out and discussing their blog posts with their audience.
If you want to grow your Christian blog in 2021, you must be intentional.
Intentionality will motivate you to put in every card on the table and work hard to see that you utilize every platform necessary to spread the fragrance of Jesus all over the internet.
Which of the Christian blogging tips will you implement in your own Christian blog to see that it is positioned for success?
Do leave a comment in the section below.
Don’t forget to subscribe below to join the community for my free bible studies and God girl series in 2021.
Share this blog post with your friends and other Christian bloggers you might know. I promise nobody will charge you a dime.
I’m counting on you to help several Christian bloggers to grow their Christian blogs in 2021